• Welcome to Duel Board - Free multiplayer online games.

Riddles!

Started by haferhole1, October 05, 2005, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gu3st

Quote from: Dodger on April 15, 2006, 08:14:53 AM
Any idiot knows there are 64 squares on a chessboard. But this is a riddle right?

That was a stupid answer. Think of the entire board as a whole, that makes 69, plus every slightly larger square, its a pretty high number. My algebra teacher taught me a formula for this, I will try and figure it out again.

Dodger

Yes I know how to do it, I was just checking.

The_Gu3st

The formula is

n(n+1)(2n+1)
Sum  = ------------

N stands for the squares.

So in other words, 8^2 + 7^2 + 6^2....+ 1^2 = 204

haferhole1

gj, u wanna post 1 or u want me 2 post another?

click my egg to get ur own

The_Gu3st

Here's a really long riddle, requires some basic level algebra.

And don't go and google it, it just takes the fun away.

I'm posting 20 question, for every 2 that you answer, you get one point. Person with the most points (out of the 10 possible) posts the next riddle.

1. Take the number of your fingers multiplied by the number of you toes divided by one half and add it to the number of months in a year. What is the total?

2. A mother and father have six sons and each son has one sister. How many people are in that family?

3. Jenn has half the Beanie Babies that Mollie has. Allison has 3 times as many as Jenn. Together they have 72. How many Beanie Babies does each girl have?

4. Kevin is 14 inches taller than George. The difference between Kevin and Richard is two inches less than between Richard and George. Kevin at 6'6" is the tallest. How tall are Richard and George ?

5. A baseball team had just won the championship game and the players wanted to congratulate each other. They began shaking hands, but each player only shook hands with every other player just once. There are, of course, only 9 players on a baseball team. How many times did the players shake hands?

6. A jar has 4 amoebas in it to start. Amoebas split their cells in two ( therefore doubling in size) once every minute. The jar will be completely filled in 10 minutes. How long would it take to fill the same sized jar if had 8 amoebas in it to start?

7. There are 100 golfers in the local match play contest. If a player loses a match, he is immediately eliminated from the contest. How many matches will be played to determine the winner?

8. Two trains are on a head on collision course. The trains are currently 65 miles apart. The north bound train is traveling at 55 miles per hour and the south bound train is traveling at 80 miles per hour. What is the distance between the trains two minutes before they collide?

9. A car travels at a speed of 30 mph over a certain distance, and then returns over the same distance at a speed of 20 mph. What is the average speed for the total trip?

10. A woman has 100 yards of cloth on a single roll, and she wants to divide it into 100 lengths of 1 yard each. It takes her 3 seconds to cut each length. Working non-stop, how long will it take her to cut all 100 pieces?

11. Find a simple method of solving:
6751X + 3249Y = 26751
3249X + 6751Y = 23249

12. Two friends decide to get together; so they start riding bikes towards each other. They plan to meet halfway. Each is riding at 6 MPH. They live 36 miles apart. One of them has a pet carrier pigeon and it starts flying the instant the friends start traveling. The pigeon flies back and forth at 18 MPH between the 2 friends until the friends meet. How far does the pigeon travel?

13. Nick and John were exercising when the subject of weight came up. Nick had no problem telling John his weight, but John said he had more "mass" than he wanted. He wouldn't come right out and reveal his weight; so he told Nick this riddle. " I weigh 147 pounds plus half of my weight," he said. How much does he weigh?

14. A farmer knows that 20 of his hens, housed in 3 coops, will hatch 30 eggs in 18 days. How long will it take 30 hens, housed in 4 coops to hatch the same number of eggs?

15. How can you measure 1 gallon of juice out of a barrel, if all you have available is a 3-gallon and a 5-gallon pitcher?

16. Students at Monty High with a class size under of 30 took a math test. One third of the class got a "B", one quarter a "B-", one sixth a "C", and one eighth failed. The remainder of the students got an "A" How many students got an "A"?

17. When manufacturing bars of soap, the cutting machine produces scraps. The scraps from 11 bars of soap can be made into one extra bar. What is the total number of bars that can be made after cutting 250 bars of soap?

18. Kerry loves dumplings. He can eat 32 of them in an hour. His brother Pete needs 3 hours to eat the same amount. How long will it take them both together to eat 32 dumplings?

19. Joe bought a bag of oranges on Monday, and ate a third of them. On Tuesday he ate half of the remaining oranges. On Wednesday he looked in the bag to find he only had two oranges left. How many oranges were originally in the bag?

20. Joan and Jane are sisters. Jean is Joan's daughter and 12 years younger than her aunt. Joan is twice as old as Jean. Four years ago, Joan was the same age as Jane is now, and Jane was twice as old as her niece. How old is Jean?

Dodger

1. Either 172 or 212 (depending on if you count the thumb as a finger  ;))

2. 7

*yawn the rest are all boring, I'll work it out later if I can be bothered.*

haferhole1

#2 is 9, the parents are people 2

haferhole1

u know what i think? i think guest is just giving us his math homework and saying its a riddle

Dodger

But now...A proper riddle! Not too difficult. ;)

An electric train is traveling south. There is a wind blowing from the north-west.
In which direction would the smoke from the train be blowing?

Dodger

Quote from: haferhole1 on April 15, 2006, 08:37:21 AM
u know what i think? i think guest is just giving us his math homework and saying its a riddle

lol

haferhole1

there is no smoke, its electric, unless some1 is smoking out the window, in which case it would go north-north-west

Dodger

Damn you riddle man!

haferhole1

;D

You approach two talking doors. One door leads to the City of Truth, while the other door leads to the City of Liars. You do not know which door is which. You are able to ask only one question to determine which door is which. The door that leads to the City of Liars always speaks lies, while the door that leads to the City of Truth always speaks the truth. You want to go to the City of Truth. What question do you ask to determine which door leads to the City of Truth

haferhole1

btw, im only posting that cus its the last 1 im taking from that site. please dont look up the ansir until its ansored

haferhole1

40 BONUS POINTS!!! note:im not taking points anymore since i no longer have edit

Eight and five, last name and given,
We are one six six six even;
The first in cow, the last in oxen
Three in damsel, three in vixen.

Question: What are we called?

i highly dought any one will anser this right without looking it up, so if u need a hint to help you ansare it, ill give it to u

i just realized answer is 1 of the words that you can spell many different ways and it still sounds the same, or close enough

answer
ansure
ansir
ansor
ansar
anser

theres probly more